Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pooped (Part one)

Howdy there peeps. I know there are many people out there who function with little sleep. My question..HOW do they do it. I am running on about 10 hours of sleep since 3AM Monday morning. Hope this don't turn out to be just a bunch of mumble jumble:) My brain seems to be having functioning issues:)
Let's start with Saturday night. For those of you who know me pretty well, know that I am very close with Jimmy (My moms ex). That is my DAD and Chelsie's Papaw. Well, we got a call late Saturday that his mom passed. This hit Chels pretty hard. It was a kinda long night then and stressful Sunday, but we got through it!
Now, let's move on to Monday. I have to sadly say I have lost A LOT of confidence in our VA medical system. Flint had his surgery on Monday. We get up at 3AM to get ready to head to Dallas to the VA hospital. He is having a UPPP(Uvulopalatopharnygoplasty). My BIGGEST mistake, I did not research this, just let it in the doctors hands. NEVER again! They informed us during his Preop that he would be staying overnight in ICU after the surgery so they could watch him at least 24 hours possible longer. Having this knowledge, we took 2 vehicles. Mom took hers so she could go home and we took the truck so we could go home when they released him. We get there at 6Am along with about 30 other people for day surgery. It was after 10AM when they finally take him upstairs. My nerves are already SHOT by then. They called me at 11AM said he doing well be about another 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (was only suppose to be a 1 to 1 1/2 hour surgery...SO, what can I do...sit and wait..Seemed like forever. The Doc finally comes out and says he done well. They took his tonsils, adnoids, cut out part of his soft pallet (back of his throat-which includes his as Chels calls it little punching bag), and went through his nostrils(thankfully no nose incision on outside) and broke everything and put splins in nose. Took longer because his nose was worse than they thought. He done vrey well though and they are gonna let him go on home. Wish we had known this and only had one vehicle so mom could drive us home. I am mentally exhausted. We get into recovery and see him..he is in and out of course. Hurts he says..about 30 minutes and they say go to bathroom and you can go home. Gave him some antibiotics and Painpills the size of peanut M&M's or bigger (he is suppose to swallow these?) He comes out of the bathroom with gown covered in blood, and nose bleeding like crazy. They tell me it ok, his nose is gonna bleed a little. It will stop soon. Well, let's go home then and we can take a nap:) Driving home from Dallas through Arlington in rush hour traffic was challenging with him nose bleeding and miserable. (Sorry guys but glad I DO NOT Live in the city) We get home about 5ish after stopping for soup, jello, ice pops...Nose STILL bleeding pretty good. No sleeping, he was VERY uncomftable and could not rest. Did not want anything to eat or drink and irritated with me cause I trying at least to get him to drink. By 8 his nose is STILL bleeding but getting worse, starts spitting up blood. I am really stressing and call the VA. Well, the nurse can not speak english I understood about half of what she said..but it was my call what to do..THANKS A LOT! BY 930ish he is throwing up blood..fells like his throat is swelling shut. He can not breath through his nose, and now can not breathe at all. Starts shaking BADLY, eyes rollin in his head. That's it, we headed to hospital. I took him to Baylor in Fort Worth, NOT about to drive to Dallas. We walk into ER and there is about 50 or more people in there....

No comments: